Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Back in Madrid

So I've been back in Madrid for a while now. Two weeks? Something like that. Everything has been a little crazy. Classes (well, most of them at least) started last week and before that we had orientation. It's strange to feel like a freshman again and have no idea where anything is or how the world works. I like all of my classes so far and none of them seem like they will be unreasonably difficult. We also got to sign up for activities. I decided on a trip to national parks in October and learning how to play tennis! It should be good. I still really want to find the climbers at the school, but it's proving a little difficult to do. This upsets me, but I'll make it happen somehow.

This Saturday we went on an excursion to Toledo, a city about an hour away from Madrid. It was beautiful, especially the gothic cathedral, but feeling sick all day and having to walk around in the heat made it not so much fun. A good start to my birthday. But my day turned around wonderfully when my host family had a large whole-family affair dinner, complete with cake and sparkling cider. Then, the kids from my program took me out for dessert to an adorable restaurant with opera-singing waiters. A great end to a hard day.

Sunday morning I went with another girl to Plaza Mayor, we got a great and cheap breakfast of fresh squeezed orange juice, coffee, and a croissant and sat for a few hours and read and drew. We ended up aimlessly walking around Madrid for awhile after, happening upon the Palacio Real in the process. Then, it rained! Now the weather here is great, today the high was around 60.

Sometimes when I'm walking around the apartment I still can't believe I'm here, living in someone else's house. I am lucky to have ended up with such great people. Today, when I got home from class I ended up playing with Dani, my five year old host brother; I think he finally likes me!

1 comment:

  1. Nice to hear from you again!
    And of course Happy Birthday To You! Though late, but you know : Mieux vaut tard que jamais!
    We've an excuse - we were in a Canadian Wilderness: no TV, no newspapers, no cellphones for 5 days! It was a cabin on the French River 4 hours driving North of Toronto. Kayaking every day, fishing (2 good pikes) etc. Remember Marten River of 2003 I think? You could look at the pictures on http://picasaweb.google.com/boris4senko

    Sorry, back to your story now :-) I wish I had such an experience at your age. I had too, but much later, when we have Citizen Diplomacy exchanges with american families. It was in late 80-s beginning 90-s and some of this people are still my friends.
    As to tennis - it's very wise decision of you. Tennis is a great game and it is the life time adventure. Look at me. I'm playing since I turned 14 and up to now. Tennis brought me the best friends and thought me a lot how to win and how to survive the defeat. Let overcome most difficult initial period and then you'll be riding high forever. By the way no conflict with climbing - in both cases one needs strong palms :-)
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete